Saturday, May 01, 2010

Bubbles

I had just come out of the Co-op...stopping off for a bottle of milk and a bag of salad after a funeral.
It had been raining, but the sky was clearing, and across the roofs of the parked cars I saw a trail of bubbles, catching the evening sun, gleaming in rainbow colours.
I stopped to enjoy them while weary shoppers trudged past me (it's interesting how rarely they seem to stride, rush, march in these parts...here in the valley, there are too many who are defeated by life, unsure that they have anything much worth hurrying towards)
I'm not sure if they even noticed this sudden gift of unexpected beauty on a Thursday evening.

Then, from behind the parked cars the source of the bubbles came in sight...Two girls, bright in summer cotton, heading with their mother towards the shop.
I thanked them for transforming my evening. Their mother smiled. I think she understood...

3 comments:

Mrs Redboots (Annabel Smyth) said...

Oh, I love bubbles! I have a bottle in every room....

Did you ever read Adrian Plass' "Stress Family Robinson", where Dip keeps a bottle by her bed because when she is stressed, blowing bubbles helps her calm down as you can't do it when you are all tense.

And the anti-spam word is "Child" - how very appropriate!

Kathryn said...

Ah yes, I'd forgotten Dip and her bubbles...that did make me smile.
They are very important things.
Beloved daughter is always accompanied by them, - we once made ourselves both hugely popular and hugely UNpopular by sharing them with a friend in hospital.

Crimson Rambler said...

and the Nefertiti-cat is absolutely terrified of them -- so they make an easy non-damaging way to make her stop doing whatever she's doing...