Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Shrove Tuesday in Gloucester

means a Quiet Day in the Cathedral...

This is one innovation of FabBishop's that I always appreciate. 
Yes, the Cathedral is chilly.
Yes, the quality of the addresses is variable, though I always find something helpful to carry around with me through the day.
And always there's the joy of being able to spend a day in silence in that beautiful and holy space, surrounded by people whom I know and love.
Often (as today) there is good music at lunchtime, and there is, too, the opportunity for that most helpful of sacraments, the sacrament of reconciliation.

I know all the reasons why people fight shy of it, and it would be dishonest if I pretended that as I kneel to begin I wouldn't give almost anything to be a thousand miles away. I think that's right...soul searching should be a rigorous business, and looking at the truth of yourself head on is unlikely to be wholly delightful..but afterwards....well, afterwards, think Christmas, birthdays, spring mornings, all the joyful awakenings you've ever experienced - and then double them and add a few.

And today I was given Ps 27 to work with - a psalm that I love so much that I used verse 4 on my ember card when I was priested

One thing I ask of the LORD,
       this is what I seek:
       that I may dwell in the house of the LORD
       all the days of my life,
       to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD
       and to seek him in his temple.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the response to the psalm 27in the celtic prayer book. Do you seek him with all your heart? Amen, Lord have mercy.
Yes lord, I do but I know that I am going to continue to stuff up so I can only do it with your help. Have mercy on me. There is something both penetential and reassuring about it.
Have a holy and blessed Lent Kathryn.