Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Barnabas

Today we give thanks for one of my favourite apostles - whom I love because of his celebrated gift of encouragement.
We thought about that at the Eucharist at Church in the Valley and I invited the congregation to thank God for those who encouraged them - while in our prayers we asked God to show us those who needed encouragement in their turn...
I spoke about the way the playgroup children who use our church hall each day are a huge encouragement to me, because they almost universally believe, each and every morning, that today is going to be the best day ever, that possibilities are endless. I reminded them that in a world alive with God's presence, this was not such an unreasonable attitude, and suggested that we might each be the same sort of gift to others that the children are to me. It all made good "heart sense" and, as usual on a Wednesday morning, God's love was so solidly present you could almost cut slices of it.
Just before I began the Eucharistic prayer I realised that there was one very imortant thing that I'd not mentioned in my thought for the day - the way that the faith, fellowship and love of that Wednesday congregation is a precious Kingdom-sign that encourages me week after week.
So I told them...and then we celebrated together and it was very good.



Bountiful God, giver of all gifts
Who poured your Spirit upon your servant Barnabas
and gave him grace to encourage others:
Help us, by his example,
to be generous in our judgements
and unselfish in our service
Through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord
who is alive and reigns with you
in the unity of the Holy Spirit
one God, now and forever.

2 comments:

Fiona Marcella said...

I love it that you've started to post on Wednesdays - real inspiration for my holy day of obligation tomorrow.

Thank YOU for the encouragement you give me. I'll be whittering on about the colour pink tomorrow - lots of encouragement from god-daughtr A who wouldn't be seen without some pink.

DogBlogger said...

Lovely post... encouragement is a gift, indeed.

I've had that happily close/horribly distant feeling the last couple of days, too, as I've finally started using the Anglican prayer beads you brought. Miss you.