Tuesday, August 22, 2006

These fragments I have shored against my ruins

Just in from supper with a couple in the congregation, and trying to persuade myself that I really do feel like organising food for 5 disparate parties at Greenbelt (TeenWonder, who is stewarding, departs tomorrow..his father on Thursday, while the rest of us go on site on Friday) while wondering how on earth to square the circle of disaffected but ultimately harmless yoof and anxious and over reactive little old ladies...Could blog about any of that,- but too depressed by the last conundrum right now, so instead I'm joining the herd as they stampede down the valley, and have been playing with the Random Quotes Generator (which is possibly related to the infinite improbability drive...but in that case, why I am not yet a penguin?). The idea is that you trawl through the quotes and pick 5 that resonate with you and your life...so here are mine, for today only.

God doesn't require us to succeed; he only requires that you try.
Mother Teresa (1910 - 1997)

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy.
Isaac Newton (1642 - 1727)

Facing a mirror you see merely your own countenance; facing your child you finally understand how everyone else has seen you.
Daniel Raeburn, The New Yorker, 05-01-2006

It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others.
John Andrew Holmes

I cannot live without books.
Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)

You're all much the wiser for reading that little anthology aren't you? No??? Well then, go and pick 5 of your own. It's an entertaining way of passing a few minutes, and has definitely diverted me from the yoof issue.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am all the wiser and know you a little better. I find myself doing the same thing. What is it? Praying for you dealing with all that is going on your life.

I like your choices.

Anonymous said...

How do I tell Daniel Raeburn that I hate him for being right?

Kathryn said...

Hugs, F.
Your lovely daughters have lots of shiney bits of you...you can enjoy those, and don't fret about the rest.
Not tonight, anyway! xx